Here in pumpkin season, it’s easy to lose sight of the plentiful, delicious things you can do with these and other gorgeous gourds. We tend to think of them used as pie ingredients or as artful carving or other decorative objects, but that might mean overlooking all the ways you can enjoy eating pumpkin and squash varieties. To get inspiration, here is a wonderful traditional flavor of Brazil and perfect for the fall-Shrimp Bobo(Bobo de Camarao) recipe that we have incorporated to Superb Cuisines Holidays menu that you’ll find great for entertaining during the holidays or just for a cozy weeknight supper.
- 1 medium pumpkin (or 4-6 mini pumpkins, for cute individual portions)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (frozen will do)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped) and/or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 bell peppers (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley Salt and pepper
- Wash and scrub the pumpkin well. Cut the top off to make a lid; remove all the seeds. Wrap the pumpkin with aluminum foil; place in a baking pan and put it in a preheated oven to 350 degrees F. Cook until when you stick a toothpick in and it’s soft. Set aside.
- Season shrimp (defrost first if needed) with salt and minced garlic. In a saucepan heat olive oil, sauté onion until transparent. Add tomato and bell peppers and cook until vegetables are soft. If using tomato sauce cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in corn starch dissolved in the milk. Add shrimp and cook for about 7 minutes. Add coconut milk and parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread the cream cheese with a spoon into the pumpkin inside wall (1/8-1/4 inch thick), then pour the shrimp mixture inside the pumpkin.
- Put the pumpkin back in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- When ready, place the whole pumpkin on a serving dish on the table. Serve by scooping the shrimp mixture out making sure to bring some chunks of “melted” pumpkin and cream cheese with it! Serve with rice.